For this Workshop , we were to recap over what we have done previously , but to help us with gaining confidence and being able to handle the fibre based printing by ourselves.
Here are my results from the session:
To start off with I had my settings set to :
Gradient : 3
And then the timings were set at 5 seconds per strip. I firstly used the dividers for the test strip to allow me to see which lighting and timing worked best.
From the Test strip , 10 seconds looked about right for me , at the gradient 3.
I then did another test strip , but a full coverage , instead of using the divider.
I found from the results of 10 seconds , it may of slightly been to light, therefore I decided to take the time down by two seconds. (Still keeping it at Gradient 3)
As you can see from the results of the 8 second strip , its slightly better and the details are more intense. I also changed the gradient up by half a stop. (Gradient :3 and a half)
I wanted to mainly focus on the detailing of the face , so I decided to keep to the gradient of 3 and a half , but took the stop up by 1 and a half. (Gradient : 9 and a half)
I found that possibly the strip before was slightly to light and the details weren’t as sharp , so on this test strip I decided to put the gradient up to 4. But keep to the 9 and half seconds.
I was still not entirely happy with my results , so I decided to put the seconds up to 10 of exposure time. But still keep the gradient to 4.
As I still wasn’t entirely happy , I decided to do another test strip but bigger. So what I did was expose the whole test strip for 10 seconds. I then got a piece of card and held it over and exposed each section for 2 seconds , so I could work out the best lighting possible. As there were a lot of different light sources coming from the image , I found it harder to expose the whole entire image perfectly.
From here I was then able to work out , the estimate settings I wanted and was able to print the image at a larger/full scale.
Timing : 10 seconds for the whole image.
Gradient : 4
Then after I had exposed the image for ten seconds. I did a bit of dodging and burning into the image. In the lighter section , I hovered my finger underneath the lens and flickers my hand to expose just that section that needed a bit more light exposed to it to bring out the details. The reason I flickered my hand and didn’t just hold it there was so I didn’t get a sharp line across the image.
With working with a difficult print , I found I learnt a lot more. it allowed me to experiment more with the lighting and settings.
For this Workshop , we were to recap over how to develop are colour Negatives and make sure we know how to use the colour charts Properly. Our first task was to print out a contact sheet. The exposure was set to around 7.7. I found this timing was perfect for the contact sheet. The images were clear and exposed correctly.
Are next task was to then choose an image from our contact Sheet’s and work with getting the exposures right.
We were asked for our test stripes to set the exposure to 4 seconds.
Once we had then tested out this , we was then able to work out from the test strip which exposre time worked best. For me it was 16 seconds.
The colour setting were set at :
Magenta (M) 60
Yellow (Y) 70
Cyan (C 0
Once I knew the exposure time I wanted , I then did a complete test strip with those settings.
When looking at the results , I found there was a tad hint of green flowing in the image , therefore with using the colour chart , I worked out that I need to -10 from what the Magenta was set out.
So previously it was set at 60 , so I then changed it to 50 and did another test strip to see if this was any better.
As you can see by the results , by changing the setting’s of the Magenta it got rid of the green highlight. I was then able to print the whole image now that the setting and exposure were accurate.
I decided to leave a border to add to the professional look. I was really pleased with the results and felt I understood the way in how the colours work clearly.
Above is an example of another Test strip I tried out just at the end of the session.
I really enjoyed this workshop and by going over it again , it made me more confident in knowing how to correctly expose and work with the correct settings/colours.